WAIMEA’S BLUE GOLDS FOR SAUVIGNON BLANC AND GRUNER VELTLINER ONCE AGAIN REINFORCE THE AROMATICS STR
Once again Waimea Estates is delighted to announce further success of their star performers – this time at the 2015 Sydney International Wine Competition. Waimea Sauvignon Blanc 2014 and Waimea Grüner Veltliner 2014 both won Blue-Gold Awards. This award entitles the bottle to wear the Competition’s trademark Blue-Gold disc and carries the distinction of being placed amongst the highest pointed 10% of wines from the thirteen Style Categories of the 2015 Competition. Led by Kym Milne MW, the 2000+ wines are evaluated by a Panel of 14 Judges which included 2 Master Sommeliers (MS) and 4 MWs (Masters of Wine), representing four countries, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and USA.
The International Sydney Wine Competition is unique amongst wine shows in the fact that the wines are judged twice – once in a formal traditional judging atmosphere, and only those reaching Gold Medal status are then judged with a dish created by the competition’s in-house chef so as to gauge the wine’s food-matching ability (see their chef’s Asparagus Risotto recipe for the Sauvignon Blanc section listed below). The top wines in that section will qualify for the unique Blue-Gold (or double Gold) Medal. The 100 wines which score the highest aggregate points in both judgings are then included in the Top 100 Wines of the Show. Trophy winners from the Sydney International Wine Competition will be announced early next year.
Ben Bolitho, Waimea’s General Manager commented, “following in the footsteps of the Gold Medals just recently awarded to our Sauvignon Blanc (the third for the 2014), Albariño, Sauvignon Gris, Classic Riesling and Gewurztraminer, this just reinforces the strength that Waimea and the Nelson region has with the aromatic grape varieties. I’m very proud of the vineyard and winery team for once again proving that we have what it takes to shine on the global wine stage!.”
The Sauvignon Blanc Wines were judged with ASPARAGUS RISOTTO
As presented by Celebrity Chef MICHAEL MANNERSServes 4.INGREDIENTS
1.5 Ltr Good Chicken Broth
3 tsp Olive Oil
1 Onion Peeled and Finely
240gm. Risotto Rice (Arborio)
100ml Waimea Sauvignon Blanc
75gm Grated Parmesan
Salt And Pepper - to season
20 Asparagus Spears
rice is cooked though, stirring from time to time.
- Blanchthe asparagus spears.
- Chop onthe diagonal into 2cm pieces.
- Reservethe tips for garnishing.
- Heatthe chicken broth.
- In asaucepan, cook the onion in the oil without colouring, about 5 mins.
- Add therice and stir well for about 3 mins.
- Therice will absorb the oil and become translucent, but not colour.
- Add theWaimea Sauvignon Blanc and stir again, over a low heat, for about 3 mins
- Startadding the hot stock, one ladle at a time.
- Maintainthe rice just below the boil and continue to add the stock, until all the
- Thiswill take about 20 mins.
- Fold inthe precooked asparagus steams that have been chopped into 2 cm pieces.
- Add theparmesan and the butter.
- Checkthe seasoning.
- Garnishwith the asparagus tips.