Clos du Caillou
Le Clos du Caillou is ideally located in the commune of Courthezon in the South of France. It consists of 44 hectares in Côtes du Rhône, and 9 ha in Chateauneuf du Pape appellation. Le Clos has the distinction of being located on the border with the appellation Châteauneuf du Pape. Formerly a Hunting Reserve, in 1932 when the boundaries of the first appellation were being formed, the owner refused to meet with the authorities and thus jeopardised the opportunity of being included in the AOC Chateauneuf du Pape.
The vineyards are certified agriculture biologique since vintage 2010. Grapes are harvested exclusively by hand and sorted before they arrive at the winery
The domain wants to go further and become biodynamic – where the winegrower must follow nine strict biodynamic principles in both the agricultural aspect and the handling of the fruit. These practices are strictly scrutinised by the governing body - the Demeter Association - before the wine can be legally classified as ‘agriculture biodynamique’.
Clos du Caillou
The property came in possession of the Pouizin family in 1956. Until 1996 the property was run by Claude Pouizin, who until 1993 sold most of his yield to negociants. In 1996 his daugther Sylvie and son-in-law Jean-Denis Vacherons came in charge and the quality of the wines from the property rapidly went up. Wine experts, especially from USA, discovered the new style of the wines and both prices and exports rose quickly.
In the spring 2002 Jean-Denis Vacherons was tragically killed in a traffic accident. Today Sylvie runs the property. She gets help from clever people like the wine maker Bruno Gaspard and the oenolog Philippe Cambie and the quality of the wines are thus in safe hands.