The origins of Tullamore Dew whiskey can be traced back to 1829 when the distillery was founded in Tullamore, County Offaly in the heart of Ireland. The brand was named after the distillery’s General Manager, Daniel E. Williams, whose initials (D.E.W.) take pride of place on every bottle of Tullamore Dew. Daniel E. Williams was a self-made man with a vision and the courage of his convictions. Full of self-belief, he brought motorized cars and electricity to Tullamore, so he could make his whiskey his way.
The origins of Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey can be traced back to 1829 when the Tullamore Distillery was founded in Tullamore, County Offaly, in the heart of Ireland. The owner was a famed distiller, Michael Molloy. The location was well chosen - a rich agricultural and grain growing region, providing both the fine barley and pure water essential to the creation of good whiskey.
Following the death of Mr Molloy, the distillery passed into the hands of his nephew Bernard Daly who renamed it the B. Daly Distillery.
14 year old Daniel Edmond Williams left his father’s farm to work in the distillery. His pay included being allowed to sleep over the distillery stables hayloft. Over the next few years he trained as a distiller.
Daly’s son, Captain Bernard Daly, inherited the distillery. A keen sportsman, he was more interested playing polo and racing horses than in business. Consequently he appointed Daniel E. Williams as general manager - and a series of improvements began. He was a self-made man with a vision and the courage of his convictions. Staying true to his beliefs, Daniel brought the motorized cars and electricity to Tullamore, so he could make his whiskey his way. He also built a number of new warehouses, including a bonded warehouse (site of today’s Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre) and a bottling plant. He added his initials to his whisky to produce the name Tullamore Dew.