The Santa Rita winery was founded in 1880 by Domingo Fernandez in the same area of Alto Jahuel where its main facilities stand today. From the end of the nineteenth century to mid-1970s, the winery developed under the ownership of the García Huidobro family. Then in 1980, the Claro group and the Owens Illinois company – the main producer of glass containers in the world – acquired the Santa Rita winery property. Together with this, great technological advances and winemaking techniques were introduced to wine production: in the commercial area, the 120 line was launched in 1982, and in 1985-1986, Santa Rita winery wines began significant penetration into world markets. Today Santa Rita and its subsidiaries currently market their products in over 75 countries, always focusing on the premium and superfine segment. All the above forms the basis which has allowed Santa Rita winery to place itself in a privileged position as producer and leading exporter of quality premium and superior quality wines.